Scoring Criteria Of Wonderlic Test
- It is the score of the Wonderlic Test that helps determining whether an applicant is an ideal candidate for a job or not. Just like any other IQ test, the scoring in this particular test is based on a maximum, average and a minimum range. The score is awarded based on the number of questions you have answered correctly.
- Some employers use a shorter version of the test. Instead of including 50 questions, you are given 30 questions. This is also known as Wonderlic personnel test quick test (WPT-Q). It is easier to administer and complete. You may still be asked to take the full version Wonderlic Personnel Test (WPT-R) later.
- The test includes 30 to 50 questions (depends on its variation – WPT-Q or WPT-R). Each test should be answered in a predetermined amount of time (12 minutes for WPT and 8 minutes for WPT-Q). Every version awards each correct answer 1 point. Skipping a question or answering incorrectly earns you zero points.
- Keep in mind that every question is valued the same regardless of the difficulty level or placement. Any incorrect answer does not lead to point deductions.
- Grading of Wonderlic test is often the same for all interviewees. The difference comes in on different professional levels. This is because different organizations and companies have set standards for the type of vacancies available.
Wonderlic Score Range(Low, Average, Good, High)
- Wonderlic Test doesn’t have a fixed grading system. This is because each industry has its own standards. Depending on the job criterion, the higher the cut-off mark, the higher the qualifying score.
- A person who scores 10 is considered illiterate. A score between 10-20 is a poor score but it doesn’t mean that the person is not suited for any job. It only means that the person is not qualified for the advertised job, but he can get a less intellectually demanding job like a guard and so on.
- Scoring 20/50 is considered an average Wonderlic score and this varies from one organization to the other. For example, in the pharmaceutical industry, a score of 31/50 is the average score.
- If you score very well in Wonderlic Test say 45/50, it indicates that you are indeed the right candidate with the best skills for the advertised job.
Average Wonderlic Scores by Profession
According to the Wonderlic group, the following are the average scores for different professions
- Electrical Engineer30
- System Analyst32
- Reporter/Teacher/Executive/ Accountant28
- Librarian/Copywriter/Investment Analyst27
- Sales Person25
- Receptionist/Machinist/Clerical Worker/Cashier/Firefighter/Train Conductor21
- Security Guard/Welder17
Wonderlic Test Score Chart – Wonderlic Score Percentiles (Wonderlic IQ Conversion Chart)
- Percentile Rank (Mensa version of the Wonderlic®)
- Approximate IQ (Mensa Percentile Rank to Estimated IQ Conversion)
Mensa version of the Wonderlic® & Mensa Percentile Rank to Estimated IQ Conversion
- 0 – 820
- 40 – 5099136
You may also want to find out the Wonderlic percentiles. This helps you to understand how you rank in human intelligence when compared to other groups in a population. The figure gives a good explanation on this.
If your percentile rank is 98 or above, you qualify for Mensa membership. This is a high IQ society. A person who has been accepted in it can make contributions to the intellectual world. More than 100 countries in the world have enrolled their members in society.
Remarkably, most of the companies do not reveal the details of your score. They opt to keep the information confidential. Even so, it is possible to know how you score by taking the tests online.
Basically, Wonderlic Test reflects your intelligence level under a strict circumstance. The score you get is multiplied by 5 to get an equivalent score on a standard IQ scale. A Wonderlic score of 26+ is a good score and if you get a high score, it means you are best suited for the job at hand. This is quite important in the employment industry because the test is usually tailored towards a certain field that an employer is measuring. If you score low, that means that you do not possess the needed skills for a specific position.
Ideal Wonderlic Score
There are various considerations to make when determining the ideal score. They are:
- Company Related Factors:
The company administering the test will determine the threshold score. Rather than going for the globally accepted score of 20, some companies will have a higher or lower score. If a company wants to take as many applicants as possible, it will lower the mark so that it ends up with the appropriate number. On the other hand, a company that only has a few positions will only consider people who score highly.
- The Applicants’ Related Factors:
The threshold score will also be selected based on the defining characteristics of the applicant.
- Job’s Characteristics:
In varied professions, the best Wonderlic score is different. Some of the jobs require a person to have a sharp IQ to perform accordingly. For instance, people who are involved in athletic activities need to be attentive and solve problems quickly. In other professionals, workers are not expected to master the skills so as to perform well. Also, the scores are set to create specific perceptions about a career.
Scoring Highly In a Wonderlic Test
The test is used by potential employers to choose candidates best suited for a job vacancy. Therefore, it is imperative that you get a good score to enhance your chances of getting the job. Some companies may allow you take the test twice but others have strict regulations whereby, if you fail to get a good score in the first test, you are no longer eligible for any other test. It is, therefore, important to prepare well to score highly. Here are some of the ways to achieve this:
- Know your Syllabus: Remember, this test is not just about mathematical calculations. It is a combination of English, skills, cognitive thinking, and mathematics. So, you basically need to be good in all these areas to score higher in the Wonderlic. Review mathematical solving skills, read more and master your grammar skills. This will help you to answer the false and true kind of questions and solve math problems with ease.
- Buy a Good Study Guide: Just as you have done before other examinations, you must get prepared for the Wonderlic tests. Be familiar with the basic questions. Revise the long-forgotten mathematics and language skills by reading extensively. You must also brush up your cognitive skills.
- Take Some Tests before the Big Day: If you take at least three tests before going for the actual Wonderlic test, you will have a chance to rate yourself and make the necessary improvements. This also gives you the confidence that you need to approach a timed test.
- Attempt All Questions: One of the biggest mistakes that job applicants make is to leave some questions answered. Try attempting all the 50 questions even if they are wrong. There is no negative marking and it increases the chances of scoring high! It may surprise you that you are able to guess correctly under the pressure.
- Avoid Wasting Time: Every attempt should be made to avoid wasting time while solving the questions because you just have 12 minutes to solve 50 questions. There are no calculators allowed!
- Practice: Practice regularly, to perfect your skills. Prepare for the Wonderlic test and take sample tests It will give you an experience that will help you hone your skills before taking the real test.
- Always Aim High: Aim at scoring high at all times. This means that you must read and research extensively.
- Be Confident: It is possible to achieve high scores in Wonderlic tests. Many people have attempted the same questions and scored highly. Do not panic as it will only limit your chances of winning. Taking some breathing exercises before the test can help you to remain calm. Talking to people who have been through the process is also helpful. Some of them may be kind enough to coach you through the process.
Keep in mind that today the employment industry is also highly competitive. In this regard, consider advanced sample tests to practice and adapt your skills for the desired job. The good thing is that the results you get from a sample test don’t mean you will get the same result in a real employment Wonderlic test.
It only helps you to assess your abilities prior to undertaking the test. With the right skills, knowledge, and dedicated advancements, you can greatly enhance your chances of getting the job you want.
Why you should prepare for the test with our course
- We have the best program, course, and tips to help you learn how to consistently improve your grades.
- Our sample questions help you to accurately answer each question.
- Learn how to avoid common Wonderlic test mistakes, save on time and focus on strategies that matter.
- Get acquainted with Wonderlic Pre-employment test format to avoid the stress when the time comes for you to take the actual test.
Therefore, if you have a Wonderlic Pre Employment test coming up and you are not sure of your abilities, you do not need to hesitate. Get a sample test online and answer all the questions. Measure your abilities and your skills. Take advantage of our prep course for the Wonderlic Test, test questions, samples, and tips to enhance your chances of getting the best score in your actual test. You can learn more about our Wonderlic test prep course to measure your math and reasoning skills efficiently.